Have your cake and eat it, too.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- ½ c. cake flour, plus more for pan
- 1 c. fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ c. almond paste, grated
- 1¼ confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 large whole eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- ¼ c. sour cream
- orange slices and/or segments, for garnish
- 1 c. freshly whipped cream (from about ½ cup heavy cream)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, and baking powder, and set aside.
- Beat butter and almond paste with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth, about 5 min. Reduce speed to low and slowly add sugar. Mix until thoroughly combined and pale and fluffy.
- Raise speed to high and add vanilla, then eggs and yolks one at a time. Mix until well combined. Reduce speed to medium and add sour cream and dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated.
- Pour into pan and smooth surface with a spatula. Bake in lower third of oven until golden and pulling away from sides of pan, 35 min.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Just before serving, turn out cake from pan. Line a serving plate with orange slices and set cake on top. Sift more sugar over cake, dollop with whipped cream, and garnish with more orange segments.
459 cal, 28 g fat (15 g saturated), 6 g protein, 47 g carb, 30 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 119 mg sodium, 222 mg cholesterol per serving
This story originally appeared in the December 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.