Heads up for planning: The turkey needs to be seasoned a day before roasting. When you buy the turkey breast, ask the butcher to butterfly it (split it nearly in half) for you.
- 1½ tsp. fennel seeds
- 2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 boneless, skinless turkey breast, butterflied
- ¼ c. whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 small apple, cut into ⅓-inch dice
- 1 tbsp. chopped rosemary
- Chop ½ tsp of the fennel seeds. Combine with 1¼ tsp of the salt and the zest. Rub both sides of turkey with salt mixture. Refrigerate in a gallon-size plastic food-storage bag overnight.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Let turkey breast come to room temperature 20 min. before stuffing.
- Toast panko in a 12-inch ovenproof straight-sided pan over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown. Transfer to a bowl. Add remaining tsp fennel seeds, the red pepper flakes, and ¼ tsp salt.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil to same pan over medium-high heat. Add fennel, shallot, apple, rosemary, and remaining ½ tsp salt. Sauté until fennel softens, about 5 min. Toss in panko to combine. Set stuffing aside. Wipe out pan and reserve.
- Place butterflied turkey, open, in front of you. Spread fennel stuffing evenly on top. Roll up turkey breast, holding firmly and keeping stuffing inside. Tie with twine in 4 spots about 2 inches apart.
- Add remaining 2 Tbsp oil to reserved pan and heat over medium-high heat. Sear turkey breast on all sides until golden brown, about 3 min per side.
- Roast in pan (or transfer to a rimmed baking sheet) in oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part reads 155°F, about 40 min. Let stand for 15 min before slicing.
399 cal, 10 g fat (2 g saturated), 64 g protein, 9 g carb, 4 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 867 mg sodium, 167 mg cholesterol per serving
This story originally appeared in the December 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.