This isn't your typical mashed potatoes dish.
- 2 small celery roots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp coarse salt
- Zest of 2 small lemons
- 1 tsp. chopped thyme
- ½ c. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ c. grated Parmesan cheese
- Place celery roots, parsnips, potatoes, and garlic in a large pot. Cover with cold water by an inch and add 2 Tbsp salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until all vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 min. Drain well and return cooked vegetables to pot.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir over medium heat to remove some of the excess moisture, about 4 min. Lightly mash with a large fork or a potato masher.
- Remove mash from heat and add remaining tsp salt, the lemon zest, thyme, oil, and cheese. Mix until well combined. Serve hot.
349 cal, 18 g fat (3 g saturated), 6 g protein, 43 g carb, 7 g sugar, 7 g fiber, 617 mg sodium, 5 mg cholesterol per serving
This story originally appeared in the December 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.