These green beans are salad light but satisfying enough to be a side.
- 1¼ lb. green beans, trimmed
- ¼ c. tahini
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ c. red wine vinegar
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped mint
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds, toasted
- sliced radish, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook green beans until bright green and crisp-tender, 2 to 3 min. Drain, and plunge into a bowl of ice water. Once cooled, drain again and blot dry.
- Whisk tahini with lemon juice, 3 Tbsp water, the garlic, ¼ tsp salt, the cayenne, and oil.
- Heat vinegar in microwave until hot, about 20 sec. Pour over shallot. Let pickle until cool, about 10 min. Drain.
- Toss green beans with dressing, remaining ¼ tsp salt, the pepper, mint, and seeds. Top with shallot and radish.
109 cal, 8 g fat (1 g saturated), 3 g protein, 7 g carb, 3 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 129 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol per serving
This story originally appeared in the November 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.