This pie delivers a double dose of greens. Cooked collards go on before baking, then a shower of fresh arugula caps things off.
- 6½ oz. hot Italian turkey or chicken sausage (about 2 links), casings removed
- 1 small bunch collard greens, ribs removed
- 1 lb. fresh or thawed frozen whole wheat pizza dough
- 6 oz. whole-milk ricotta cheese (¾ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Baby arugula, for topping
- A couple pinches of coarse salt
- red pepper flakes, for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 400°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook sausage in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 6 min. Drain on paper towels.
- Cook collard greens in boiling water, stirring, 1 min. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Squeeze dry, and chop coarsely.
- Stretch dough into a rough rectangle shape on a parchment-lined baking sheet. (If dough stretches back, let rest 5 min and try again.) Arrange collards and sausage on top. Dollop with ricotta, sprinkle with garlic, and drizzle with oil.
- Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 min. Top with arugula, salt, and red pepper flakes.
438 cal, 16 g fat (5 g saturated), 19 g protein, 59 g carb, 1 g sugar, 8g fiber, 896 mg sodium, 34mg cholesterol per serving
This story originally appeared in the April 2016 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.