Although truffles are traditionally made out of chocolate, this recipe containing almonds, dates, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and shredded coconut might become your new favorite.
- 1 c. raw almonds, soaked overnight then dehydrated
- 4 dates, pitted
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tsp. coconut sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. shredded coconut
- Place the almonds, dates, coconut oil, coconut sugar, vanilla, and sea salt in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process about 2 minutes, until you can pinch the mixture between your fingers and it holds together. If the mixture is still very loose after 2 minutes, add 1 or 2 more pitted dates and process again. You can also add 1 teaspoon of water to help the mixture stick together.
- Using about 1 tablespoon of mixture at a time, roll the truffle mixture into small balls between your hands.
- Put the shredded coconut in a small bowl and roll the truffles in the shredded coconut until well coated.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for later use.The truffles will keep, refrigerated, for 2 weeks.
Reprinted with permission from The Whole Coconut by Nathalie Fraise, copyright © 2015, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.