Use any leftovers to liven up a sandwich or pasta.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 sliced red bell peppers (orange or yellow will work, too)
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 3 tbsp. balsamic or sherry vinegar
- ¼ c. small fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp. ricotta salata or Parmesan shavings
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook 6 sliced red bell peppers (orange or yellow will work, too) with ½ tsp coarse salt and ¼ tsp pepper, stirring frequently and adjusting heat as needed, until darkened in spots, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add 3 Tbsp balsamic or sherry vinegar and return to heat.
- Simmer until liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 1 minute.
- Before serving, top with ¼ cup small fresh basil leaves and 2 Tbsp ricotta salata or Parmesan shavings.
147 cal, 9 g fat (2 g saturated), 3 g protein, 15 g carb, 6 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 330 mg sodium, 5 mg cholesterol per serving
This recipe originally appeared in the January/February 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.