Great balls of good stuff! Dates and PB are on the inside; healthy "sprinkles" are on top.
- 20-24 pitted dates
- ½ c. raw, unsalted almonds
- ½ c. pecans
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter
- shredded unsweetened dried coconut
- cocoa powder
- Soak 20 to 24 pitted dates (6 oz) in boiling-hot water for 10 min.
- In a food processor, finely grind ½ cup raw unsalted almonds and ½ cup pecans. Set aside.
- Drain dates, and add to food processor with 2 Tbsp peanut butter, 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, ½ tsp pure vanilla extract, and a pinch of fine salt.
- Pulse until mixture is somewhat smooth.
- Return nuts to processor and pulse until well combined.
- Roll into bite-size balls (about 2 ½ tsp each).
- Roll truffles in 2 Tbsp of any of the following: shredded unsweetened dried coconut, more very finely chopped nuts, or more cocoa powder (sifted).
- If not serving immediately, chill in an airtight container, between layers of parchment.
122 cal, 10 g sugar per 2 pieces
This story originally appeared in the December 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.