- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 c. finely chopped shallots (3 large)
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 20 oz. coarsely chopped baby spinach
- ¼ c. half-and-half
- nutmeg (optional)
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 cup finely chopped shallots (3 large), ½ tsp coarse salt, and ½ tsp pepper. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- A few handfuls at a time, add 20 oz coarsely chopped baby spinach, putting in more as each batch begins to shrink down.
- Cook until all spinach is slightly wilted, about 3 minutes (add 2 to 3 minutes if there's excess water).
- Add ¼ cup half-and-half and a large pinch of nutmeg (optional). Cook, stirring, until liquid evaporates, 1 to 2 minutes more.
167 cal, 9 g fat (2 g saturated), 5 g protein, 23 g carb, 4 g sugar, 8 g fiber, 476 mg sodium, 6 mg cholesterol per serving
This recipe originally appeared in the January/February 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.