Toss in sliced Brussels sprouts with the potato — or add spinach when you stir in the beans.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- 4 c. low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 (15.5-oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ c. grated cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- Sliced radishes
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook potato, onion, garlic, chili powder, and salt, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 4 min.
- Add broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potato is tender, about 15 min. Stir in beans and simmer until heated through, about 5 min.
- Ladle into bowls and top each with 1 tbsp. cheese. Top with avocado, radishes, and cilantro.
411 cal, 18 g fat (3 g saturated), 16 g protein, 54 g carb, 9 g sugar, 19 g fiber, 969 mg sodium, 7 mg cholesterol per serving
This story originally appeared in the November 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.