- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 8 green beans, halved
- ⅔ c. dried green lentils
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 5-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 c. low-sodium vegetable stock
- 4 leaves Swiss chard (or a handful of baby spinach)
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add chopped yellow onion, peeled and diced carrot, and diced celery, and sauté for 3 to 4 min.
- Add diced zucchini and green beans and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 min.
- Stir in dried green lentils and dried basil, thyme, and oregano, crushed tomatoes, and low-sodium vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 25 to 30 min, until lentils are tender.
- Toss in torn Swiss chard leaves (or a handful of baby spinach), and season with salt and pepper.
- Puree mixture in a blender.
340 cal, 6 g fat, 17 g protein, 56 g carb, 13 g sugar, 14 g fiber, 250 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol per serving
This recipe originally appeared in the January/February 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.