Our exclusive DIY energy bar created by Camilla Saulsbury, PhD, author of the energy bar cookbook, Power Hungry, is the perfect healthy pocket food for those moments when you're dangerously close to having a hangry meltdown.
- 1-1/2 c. old-fashioned or quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/3 c. walnuts (or other nuts), chopped
- 3/4 c. mixed dried fruit (e.g., dried cranberries, prunes, dried apricots, raisins), chopped
- 1/2 c. almond butter (preferably unsweetened), or peanut, cashew, or sunflower butter
- 1/3 c. honey
- 2/3 c. oat bran (dry)
- 1/2 c. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites or ½ c. liquid egg whites from a carton
- 2 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 9-inch square baking pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread oats and walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, shaking halfway through, until golden and fragrant (this adds flavor but you can skip this step if you’re in a hurry). Transfer to a large bowl along with the chopped dried fruit. (Keep oven on.)
- Melt the almond butter and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in oat bran, yogurt and salt. Let stand 3 minutes. Cook and stir over low heat for 1-3 minutes until thickened; stir in vanilla and egg whites. Add to oat mixture, mixing with a spatula until well blended.
- Transfer to prepared pan, spreading evenly and smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until surface appears dry and edges of bars are golden brown. Cool completely.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired (see below). Using the liner, remove from pan and transfer to a cutting board. Peel off foil or parchment and cut into 12 bars.
Optional Chocolate Topping: Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave according to package directions. Drizzle over completely cooled, uncut bars. Refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes to harden chocolate, and then remove from pan as directed.
Storage: Tightly wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to two days, in the refrigerator for up to one week, or in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.