You can use regular carrots in this recipe—just chop them into 1½-inch lengths.
- 3 tbsp. shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 lb. small carrots, peeled, or baby-cut carrots
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro or mint
- 2 tsp. minced ginger
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add coconut and cook, stirring almost constantly, until toasted, about 2 min. Transfer coconut to a plate and set aside.
- Half-fill skillet with water, add the salt, and bring to a boil.
- Add carrots and cover skillet. Cook until carrots are barely tender, 5 to 7 min. Drain and return to skillet.
- Drizzle honey and lime juice over carrots and mix well. Add scallions, cilantro, and ginger and mix again. Season with pepper to taste.
- Transfer carrots to a serving bowl, and sprinkle with the toasted coconut.
85 cal, 3 g fat (2 g saturated), 1 g protein, 16 g carb, 10 g sugar, 4 g fiber, 152 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol per serving
Adapted from The Oz Family Kitchen. Copyright © 2015 by Lisa Oz.
This recipe originally appeared in the October 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.