- 3 medium zucchini (8 to 10 oz each)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 (8-oz) package white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 c. store-bought marinara sauce (preferably no-sugar-added)
- 12 basil leaves, shredded, plus more for garnish
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 c. ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- black pepper
- 1 c. halved grape tomatoes
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced and torn
- ¼ c. grated Parmesan
- Heat oven to 400°F. Trim off zucchini ends. Cut zucchini on a spiral slicer, using the widest blade to make ribbons. Trim noodles as needed to shorten. Place in a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Cook oil, garlic, and mushrooms in a large skillet over high heat, stirring occasionally, until no liquid remains, 8 to 10 min. Reduce heat to medium-high, and add marinara and basil. Cook, stirring, until very thick, 4 to 5 min. Stir in red pepper flakes.
- Pour into baking dish and mix gently to coat zucchini. Spread out mixture in dish.
- Mix ricotta with egg, and season with black pepper to taste. Dollop over zucchini mixture and sprinkle with tomatoes. Scatter mozzarella on top, then Parmesan.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 min. Let rest 15 min. Garnish with more basil.
359 cal, 22 g fat (11 g saturated), 19 g protein, 21 g carb, 9 g sugar, 4 g fiber, 728 mg sodium, 106 mg cholesterol per serving
This recipe originally appeared in the October 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.