- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch strips
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (28-oz) can diced plum tomatoes
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ c. chopped parsley
- whole wheat pita, for serving (optional)
- Cook onion, bell pepper, and garlic in oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until onion is golden-brown and pepper is tender, 8 to 10 min.
- Stir in tomatoes and any juice, salt, pepper, and remaining spices. Simmer for 15 min.
- Make 4 indentations in the sauce and crack an egg into each. Reduce heat to low, and cover pan. Cook 8 to 10 min, or until eggs are set to your liking.
- Sprinkle with parsley, and serve with pita.
213 cal, 12 g fat (3 g saturated), 9 g protein, 14 g carb, 10 g sugar, 4 g fiber, 761 mg sodium, 186 mg cholesterol per serving
This recipe originally appeared in the April 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.