Lemon, the signature flavor of Greek avgolemono soup, perks up this dill-flecked, Mediterranean-style take on chicken soup. Power foods join the pot: Whole wheat orzo offers good carbs, and a shower of baby spinach is a bonus veg alongside regulars like celery, carrots, and onion.
Making this soup ahead? Boil and store the orzo separately so the mini pasta stays nicely al dente, then stir in to serve.
Try our other international chicken soup recipes to go global with the ultimate homey classic:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/2 c. diced carrot
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- 3/4 c. whole wheat orzo
- 6 c. Simple Chicken Stock (recipe link in directions), plus 2 cups of shredded chicken
- 2 large dill sprigs, plus more for garnish
- juice of 1 lemon, plus 4 thin slices
- 2 c. baby spinach leaves, packed
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 4 to 5 min.
- Add celery, carrot, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables have softened, 6 to 7 min more. Add orzo, Simple Chicken Stock, and dill sprigs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until orzo is cooked, about 8 min.
- Remove dill sprigs. Add shredded chicken, lemon juice, lemon slices, and some pepper. Simmer, adjusting heat if necessary, until chicken is heated through, 2 to 3 min. Add spinach, stirring until wilted.
- Before serving, sprinkle dill liberally over each bowl.
This recipe originally appeared in the March 2017 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.