The cooking water evaporates as the pasta and veggies cook, so there's no need to drain.
- 12 oz. whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 lb. grape or cherry tomatoes, halved (about 3¼ cups)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 6 oz. green beans, trimmed and halved (about 2 cups)
- 3 c. baby kale
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs basil, plus more leaves for garnish
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1½ tsp. coarse salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ c. grated Parmesan
- Combine all of the ingredients except the Parmesan with 5 cups water in a large pot. Bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring to keep spaghetti submerged, until pasta is al dente and vegetables are cooked through (water will be nearly evaporated), about 12 min.
- Season with more black pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan and more basil.
454 cal, 13 g fat (2 g saturated), 17 g protein, 74 g carb, 7 g sugar, 14 g fiber, 832 mg sodium, 4 mg cholesterol per serving
This recipe originally appeared in the September 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.