LA-based founder of Latino Fit Club, Carmen Melgoza, shares her favorite healthy comfort dish that helps her keep off the pounds.
- 4 (6-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 4 tbsp. store-bought, no-sugar-added tomato sauce
- 12 thin tomato slices, from about 2 large tomatoes
- 12 very thin red onion slices
- basil leaves, torn, for garnish
- 6 oz. fresh unsalted mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. coarse salt
- red pepper flakes, for sprinkling (optional)
- Heat broiler. Lightly spray one side of tortillas with cooking spray. Place oiled sides down, on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Spread 1 Tbsp tomato sauce on each tortilla. Top with tomato, onion, basil, and cheese.
- Season with salt and some pepper. Broil until cheese has melted, about 3 min.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if using.
208 cal, 13 g fat (6 g saturated), 14 g protein, 18 g carb, 5 g sugar, 9 g fiber, 400 mg sodium, 11 mg cholesterol per serving
This recipe originally appeared in the January/February 2017 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.