Celebrity chef and cookbook author, Gina Neely, shares her favorite healthy comfort food recipe that she eats at least once a week.
- 1 smoked turkey wing, rinsed, or 1 fresh turkey drumstick or neck
- 1 tbsp. coarse salt
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 bunches collard greens (about 2 1/2 lb), stems discarded, leaves cut into strips
- 1 bunch kale, stems discarded, leaves cut into strips
- Combine 3 cups water in a large pot with wing, salt, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Cover, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until turkey is fork-tender, about 40 min.
- Add collards and kale in batches, pushing leaves down and letting wilt a bit before adding more. (Pot will be full, but greens will cook down.)
- Cover, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until very tender, about 45 min. (Greens will be mostly submerged as they cook, but water should not completely cover them.)
- Serve with or without cooking liquid ladled on top (if not, enjoy the liquid as a simple soup) and with or without turkey wing, skin removed and meat shredded into dish.
108 cal, 4 g fat (1 g saturated), 10 g protein, 12 g carb, 6 g sugar, 5 g fiber, 960 mg sodium, 17 mg cholesterol per serving
This recipe originally appeared in the January/February 2017 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.