Healthy recipe developer and cookbook author, Andie Mitchell, shares one of her favorite recipes that helps satisfy her cravings.
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. plain whole-milk Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. minced white onion
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. sweet pickle relish
- dash of hot sauce
- pinch of coarse salt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 lb. 90% lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- dill pickle slices (optional)
- Make the dressing: Whisk mayonnaise with yogurt, ketchup, 2 tsp water, onion, vinegar, relish, hot sauce, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Make the burger salad: Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring with a spatula, until it just begins to soften, about 2 min.
- Add the ground beef, and season with salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally and using spatula to crumble the meat, until onion is cooked and meat is browned and no longer pink, 6 to 7 min.
- Add garlic, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 sec.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Assemble the salad: Divide lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and beef among 4 bowls or plates.
- Drizzle each serving with 2 Tbsp dressing. Serve with pickles, if you like.
480 cal, 29 g fat (11 g saturated), 34 g protein, 24 g carb, 12 g sugar, 6 g fiber, 410 mg sodium, 102 mg cholesterol per serving
This recipe originally appeared in the January/February 2017 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.