Your summer won't be complete without making ratatouille at least once. This veg-friendly version is to die for.
- 1 1/2 c. quinoa, rinsed and drained
- kosher salt
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small eggplant, cubed
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 4 tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 c. chopped basil, plus more for garnish
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- black pepper
- Place quinoa in a medium pot with 3 cups water and a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, 5 minutes, then fluff. (Season with more salt if desired.)
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Add eggplant and cook 5 minutes more. Add zucchini, squash, and tomatoes and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add chickpeas and cook 5 minutes more.
- Stir in basil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Serve ratatouille over quinoa.
Anna Watson Carl is a NYC-based private chef, recipe developer, and food writer. She writes the blog TheYellowTable.com and is the author of The Yellow Table: A Celebration of Everyday Gatherings (Sterling 2015).