Mark Bittman's cranberry-studded oatmeal morsels taste like mini banana bread loaves.
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more (softened) for sheets
- 1 1/2 c. rolled oats
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 c. chopped nuts
- 1/4 c. chopped dried cranberries
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. coarse salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Melt butter; let cool to room temperature. Lightly butter 2 rimmed baking sheets with the softened butter.
- Toast oats in oven on another rimmed baking sheet until golden, 15 to 20 min. Transfer the oats to a bowl (to stop the cooking).
- Mash bananas well in a large bowl with a fork. Stir in melted butter and vanilla.
- Mix sugar, nuts, dried cranberries, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt into the oats. Add oat mixture to banana mixture, and stir just until combined.
- Drop heaping Tbsp-sized mounds, about 2 inches apart, onto prepared baking sheets. Bake, rotating sheets top to bottom and front to back at midway point, until golden, 12 to 15 min.
- Cool for 2 min on sheets before transferring to wire racks.
65 cal, 3 g fat (1 g saturated), 1 g protein, 9 g carb, 4 g sugar, 1 g fiber, 48 mg sodium, 4 mg cholesterol per cookie.
This recipe originally appeared in the December 2016 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.