You don't need the tortilla to bend like you do in a burrito, and you're melting cheese all over them, so feel free to use packaged gluten free flour tortillas for this one. Of course, the fresh kind are so much better, and the delicious combination of savory sautéed onion and zucchini with sweet corn certainly doesn't hurt. Try adding sautéed mushrooms in place of (or along with) the zucchini for a meatier taste.
- 3 tbsp. (42 g) extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 pound fresh zucchini, thinly sliced in cross-section
- 4 oz. frozen corn kernels
- 8 gluten-free flour tortillas
- 4 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. sharp yellow Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a medium-size sauté pan with a cover, and then add the smashed garlic cloves.
- Cook, turning once, until the oil is fragrant and the garlic is browned, about 2 minutes. Discard the garlic. Add the onion to the oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the zucchini, cover and cook until the zucchini is tender, stirring occasionally to ensure that the zucchini does not stick to the bottom of the pan, about 8 minutes. Remove the cover, add the frozen corn, and stir until the corn is defrosted. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet (or nonstick omelet pan) over medium heat. Brush one side of each of the 8 tortillas lightly with olive oil and place one tortilla, oiled-side down, in the hot skillet.
- Place about one-quarter of the zucchini-corn mixture on top of the tortilla in an even layer, and top with about 1 ounce of each of the grated cheeses in an even layer. Place another tortilla, oiled-side up, on top.
- Press down firmly on the top tortilla and cook until the bottom tortilla is beginning to crisp. Flip the quesadilla, and continue to cook until the other side of the quesadilla is browned and crisp. Remove the quesadilla from the pan and slice into wedges.
- Repeat with the other tortillas and remaining vegetables and cheese. Serve immediately.
Recipe excerpted from Gluten-Free Small Bites: Sweet and Savory Hand-Held Treats for On-the-Go Lifestyles and Entertaining by Nicole Hunn. Copyright © 2016. Available from Da Capo Lifelong Books, an imprint of Perseus Books, LLC, a subsidiary of Hachette Book Group, Inc.