Hints of licorice from the fennel are paired with the sweet bitterness of the grapefruit to create a new kind of soup.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small bulb fennel, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 4 red grapefruits, segmented and chopped into bite-size pieces and juice reserved (about 4 cups flesh and 1 cup juice)
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
- 1 c. water
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm the oil.
- Cook the fennel, salt, and pepper, stirring frequently, for 8 minutes, or until the fennel starts to caramelize.
- Add a splash of water and allow the steam to cook the fennel for 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the fennel, grapefruit juice and segments, orange peel, water, and dill.
- Ladle into bowls and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight. Enjoy chilled.
Reprinted with permission from Soup Cleanse Cookbook © 2016 by Nicole Centeno, Rodale, Inc.