Because this recipe calls for puréed pears, offer to purchase more bruised fruit from your farm stand or local grocer. Chances are, you'll get a discount!
- 2 lb. Bartlett pears, quartered
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground cardamom seeds (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 1 vanilla pod, split and insides scraped, or 1/2 tsp vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground Saigon cinnamon or conventional cinnamon
- 1/4 c. sunflower seeds, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 tbsp. ground hempseed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 qt. water
- In a medium pot over high heat, combine the pears, cardamom, vanilla, cinnamon, sunflower seeds, hempseed, lemon juice, and water, cover, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the pears are very soft.
- Using an immersion blender or countertop blender, purée the soup until very smooth.
Reprinted with permission from Soup Cleanse Cookbook © 2016 by Nicole Centeno, Rodale, Inc.