Pile these pickled veggies on a cheese plate, serve with turkey, or mix into a salad.
- 4 1/2 c. rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. coarse salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 oz. green beans, trimmed
- 12 oz. radishes, scrubbed, ends trimmed, thinly sliced into rounds
- 12 oz. small carrots, trimmed, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces on long bias
- olive oil
- coarse salt
- 2 sprigs thyme, for garnish
- Bring vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns, coriander, garlic, bay leaves, and 3 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until sugar dissolves.
- Add green beans and cook until crisp-tender (3 to 4 min). Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a large bowl. Pour in enough of the pickling liquid to cover.
- Repeat pickling steps above, using the remaining liquid and the same pan, for the rest of vegetables-cooking carrots 5 min and radishes 3 to 5 min.
- Let cool. Then cover bowls with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. To serve, drain veggies, drizzle on a little oil; add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with thyme sprigs.
61 cal, 4 g fat (1 g saturated), 0 g protein, 5 g carb, 3 g sugar, 1 g fiber, 222 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol per 1/3 cup
This recipe originally appeared in the November 2016 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.