You've gotta try this delish take on a classic Caesar salad.
- 4 anchovy fillets, drained
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/3 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice, at room temperature (2 lemons)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 c. good olive oil, plus extra to cook the pancetta
- 1/4 c. freshly grated Italian Pecorino cheese
- 1 lb. lacinato kale (also called dinosaur or Tuscan kale)
- 4 oz. pancetta, small-diced
- 1 c. (1/2-inch-diced) bread cubes, crusts removed
- 1/2 c. shaved Italian Pecorino cheese (2 ounces)
- For the dressing, place the anchovies, garlic, mustard, egg yolks, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Process for 30 seconds, until smooth.
- With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube, until the mixture emulsifies.
- Add the grated Pecorino and process just until combined. Transfer to a container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Wash the kale and spin it dry in a salad spinner.
- Remove the rib from each leaf.
- Stack the leaves and slice them thinly crosswise, as you would cole slaw.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and toss with enough dressing to moisten.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium (10-inch) saute pan.
- Add the pancetta and cook over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, tossing frequently, until evenly browned.
- Add the pancetta, toasted bread, and shaved Pecorino to the kale, and toss with large spoons.
- Serve at room temperature.
366 cal, 29g fat (8g saturated), 14g protein, 15g carb, 1g sugar, 2g fiber, 722g sodium, 85g cholesterol per serving.
Recipe reprinted from COOKING FOR JEFFREY: A Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. Copyright © 2016 by Ina Garten. To be published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Randon House LLC on October 25, 2016.