You'll want to make this cheesy take on this veggie a lot, so Ina let us in on her carving technique: To cut spaghetti squash, cut off the bottom with a large chef's knife and stand the squash upright. Plunge the tip of the knife into the squash near the stem and cut straight down to the bottom, being careful to keep your fingers out of the way. Cut the other side from stem to bottom and break the squash in half.
- 4 lb. spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- good olive oil
- 1/4 c. apple cider or apple juice
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1/4 c. freshly grated Italian Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the spaghetti squash, cut sides up, on a sheet pan. Brush the flesh completely with olive oil and pour the apple cider into the cavities. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Roast for 50 to 75 minutes, until the insides of the squash are very tender and shred easily when raked with a fork. It should be the consistency of al dente pasta. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Shred as much of the flesh of the squash as possible and transfer it to a large bowl. Discard the shells.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the butter in a large (12-inch) sauté pan over medium heat until the butter starts to sizzle. Add the garlic and cook for just one minute, until fragrant.
- Immediately add the shredded squash and sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until heated through. Off the heat, stir in the Parmesan, parsley, 2 teaspoons salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Taste for seasonings and serve hot.
242 cal, 20 g fat (5 g saturated), 3 g protein, 17 g carb, 7 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 1,380 mg sodium, 13 mg cholesterol per serving
Recipe reprinted from COOKING FOR JEFFREY: A Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. Copyright © 2016 by Ina Garten. To be published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Randon House LLC on October 25, 2016.