For even more flavor, add dried berries.
- 2 1/2 c. rolled oats
- 1/2 c. salted roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 c. mixed chopped raw nuts: walnuts, cashews, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans or pistachios
- 1/2 c. sesame seeds
- 1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 c. honey
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- sea salt
- Heat oven to 300°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together oats, sunflower seeds, nuts, and sesame seeds in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine in a medium skillet olive oil and thyme; cook over medium-high heat, swirling often, until thyme is fragrant, about 3 to 4 min. The thyme may fry and split a little, which is fine. Remove from heat and let the thyme oil cool and infuse, at least 10 minutes.
- Swirl honey, vanilla extract, and kosher salt into the thyme oil. Pour over the oat mixture and stir to combine. Turn out onto the prepared baking sheet, spreading granola as evenly as possible.
- Bake, stirring every 10 min, until crisp and golden brown, about 45 to 50 min. Sprinkle on a few pinches of sea salt and let cool completely, then pack into airtight containers. The granola keeps for weeks, stored in a cool, dry spot.
180 cal, 13 g fat (2 g saturated), 4 g protein, 15 g carb, 6 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 109 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol per ¼ cup serving
From the forthcoming book The Happy Cook: 125 Recipes for Eating Every Day Like It's the Weekend by Daphne Oz. Copyright © 2016 by Daphne Oz. To be published on September 20 1016 by William Morrow Cookbooks, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.