"Massaging" kale sounds funny, but it breaks down the tough leaves and gives them a nice texture.
- 1⁄2 c. packed shredded kale
- 1⁄4 c. packed chopped red or green cabbage
- 2 tbsp. diced cucumber
- 2 tbsp. diced plum tomato
- 2 tbsp. diced jicama (optional)
- 2 tbsp. chopped snow or snap peas
- 1 tbsp. packed cilantro
- 1 (4-oz) cooked and diced boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tbsp. Peanut Dressing
- 1⁄2 c. roasted unsalted peanuts
- 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. low-sodium tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. minced seeded jalapeño
- 1⁄4 c. packed finely chopped cilantro
- To make dressing: In a blender, pulse 1⁄2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts; 2 Tbsp each rice wine vinegar, low-sodium tamari (wheat-free soy sauce), and canola oil; 1 Tbsp each honey and water; and 1 tsp minced seeded jalapeño until slightly chunky. Stir in 1⁄4 cup packed finely chopped cilantro.
- To make salad: Massage the kale with your hands until softened, 1 to 2 min. Add remaining salad ingredients and dressing. Toss to coat.
Salad: 352 cal, 15 g fat (2 g saturated), 41 g protein, 13 g carb, 7 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 339 mg sodium, 96 mg cholesterol per serving
2 Tbsp Dressing: 132 cal, 11 g fat (1 g saturated), 4 g protein, 7 g carb, 4 g sugar, 1 g fiber, 235 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol
This recipe originally appeared in the June 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.