These vitamin A-rich treats tout a peppery kick with a hit of mint. Eat them plain or with eggs or greens.
- 2 c. (8 oz) bagged grated carrots (or 4 carrots, shredded)
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ c. 2% milk
- ½ c. Grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ c. whole-grain flour (such as white whole wheat or spelt)
- 1 heaping Tbsp shredded mint
- 1 tsp. chopped thyme or oregano
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Season carrots in a bowl with salt and black pepper; toss well. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, milk, Parmesan, flour, herbs, and red pepper flakes. Add to carrots and combine thoroughly.
- Prepare a nonstick waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon some batter into each section of the iron and cook until browned and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
126 cal, 6 g fat (2 g saturated), 7 g protein, 12 g carb, 3 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 484 mg sodium, 56 mg cholesterol per waffle
This recipe originally appeared in the September 2016 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.