This delicious soft cheese has less fat and a tad more tang than your typical cream cheese spread.
- 1 qt. plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- whole-grain toasts or crackers
- freshly ground pepper
- chopped pistachios or walnuts
- mango chutney
- chopped scallions
- Line a large sieve with 3 layers of cheesecloth and set it over a large, deep bowl. Place yogurt on cheesecloth, and fold ends of cloth up and over yogurt.
- Top with a small plate, and weigh it down with a large canned good (or something similar). Refrigerate, letting liquid drain into bowl, 3 hrs.
- Remove can and plate, and unfold cheesecloth. Transfer what is now your cheese to an airtight container, and refrigerate until ready to serve (up to 1 week). Discard liquid.
- Serve cheese on toasts with toppings of your choice.
95 cal, 8 g fat (6 g saturated), 5 g protein, 1 g carb, 1 g sugar, 0 g fiber, 11 mg sodium, 13 mg cholesterol per ¼-cup serving of cheese
This recipe originally appeared in the September 2016 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.