No need to wash fish before cooking — in fact, it would raise the risk of food poisoning. Simply cook it to an internal temp of 145°F.
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 3 tbsp. lime juice (from about 2 limes)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (keep each separate)
- ¼ c. chopped tomato
- 1 ½ tsp. chopped and seeded jalapeño chile
- ¾ tsp. coarse salt
- 4 (7-oz) skinless salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 (15.5-oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 c. cooked brown rice
- Toss avocado with 1 Tbsp lime juice, 1 minced garlic clove, the tomato, jalapeño, and ¼ tsp salt. Refrigerate, covered, until you're ready to serve (up to 4 hrs).
- Toss salmon in a bowl with 1 Tbsp lime juice, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp oil, 1 tsp cumin, and ½ tsp salt until coated well.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add salmon. Cook until golden brown on bottom, about 4 min. Turn, and continue until just cooked through but still pink in middle, 4 to 6 min more; transfer to a plate.
- Remove half of oil from skillet. Add beans plus the remaining garlic clove, Tbsp lime juice, and ½ tsp cumin. Cook over medium heat until just warmed through, 1 min.
- Flake salmon; serve with rice, beans, and avocado salsa.
545 cal, 19 g fat (3 g saturated), 49 g protein, 47 g carb, 2 g sugar, 12 g fiber, 698 mg sodium, 93 mg cholesterol per serving
This recipe originally appeared in the September 2016 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.