Recipe adapted from A Girl and Her Greens, by April Bloomfield (Ecco) © 2015.
- 1 head (1 lb) broccoli
- 1⁄4 c. olive oil
- 5 strips bacon, cut into 3⁄4-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- Cut florets of 1 head (1 lb) broccoli into 2-inch pieces; peel the leftover stems and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat 1⁄4 cup olive oil in a pot with high sides over high heat until shimmering. Add 5 strips bacon, cut into 3⁄4-inch pieces. Cook, stirring, until edges crisp, 3 min.
- Transfer to a bowl, leaving fat behind. Stir broccoli into pot. Top with 1 small onion, thinly sliced. Cook, without stirring, until broccoli begins to brown, about 3 min, then cook, stirring, 3 min more. Reduce to medium-low.
- Add 2 pinches red pepper flakes, the reserved bacon, and 1 tsp coarse salt. Cook, stirring, until stems are tender with a slight bite, 5 min more. Toss with juice of 1⁄2 lemon.
325 cal, 28 g fat (7 g saturated), 9 g protein, 13 g carb, 4 g sugar, 4 g fiber, 796 mg sodium, 23 mg cholesterol
This recipe originally appeared in the May 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.