We love old-school stainless steel tins; they're light but sturdy.
- 1/2 c. tahini
- 2 tbsp. sweet white miso
- 2 tsp. lemon juice, plus more for squeezing
- 4 slices whole-grain bread, toasted
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- A couple pinches of coarse salt
- black or white sesame seeds, toasted, for sprinkling Mild crushed red pepper, such as Aleppo, or black pepper, for seasoning
- 4 large spinach leaves (or any other greens; optional)
- Stir tahini with miso and 2 tsp lemon juice. (Spread can be prepared 2 weeks ahead. Transfer to a jar and keep refrigerated.)
- Spread toasts with tahini-miso mixture. Top with avocado slices, squeeze a little lemon juice over them, and season with salt. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and lightly season with the pepper. Top toasts with spinach, if using.
- Slip toasts into sandwich boxes or waxed paper bags and eat within 3 hrs.
483 cal, 33 g fat (5 g saturated), 15 g protein, 38 g carb, 4 g sugar, 12 g fiber, 502 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol per serving
This story originally appeared in the May 2016 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.
Adapted from The Portable Feast: Creative Meals for Work and Play. Copyright © 2016 by Jeanne Kelley. Published by Rizzoli New York. Images copyright © 2016 by Ann Cutting.