Smoothies hang on to lots of the original nutrients and fiber from fruits and veggies because they're blended whole (unlike with juices, where some of the good stuff is filtered out).
- 2 c. packed lettuce (such as romaine) and/or spinach leaves
- 2 c. fresh or frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 c. plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut in half, or ⅓ cup orange juice
- 4 quarter-size slices of peeled ginger
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
186 cal, 1 g fat (0 g saturated), 6 g protein, 43 g carb, 33 g sugar, 6 g fiber, 53 mg sodium, 1 mg cholesterol per serving
This story originally appeared in the May 2016 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.
Adapted from The Portable Feast: Creative Meals for Work and Play. Copyright © 2016 by Jeanne Kelley. Published by Rizzoli New York. Images copyright © 2016 by Ann Cutting.