- 1½ c. farro (rinsed)
- 2 bulbs garlic
- olive oil
- 6 c. chicken broth
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and sliced into coins)
- 1 jalapeño (thinly sliced; remove seeds and ribs for less heat)
- 1- inch piece fresh ginger (peeled and minced)
- 4 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 2 c. leftover shredded chicken
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- Cook farro according to package instructions and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut garlic crosswise to remove the tops and expose cloves. Place bulbs on a large piece of foil; drizzle with oil and salt. Gather edges of the aluminum and press together to enclose garlic. Bake for 30 min.
- Remove garlic from oven and carefully open package. Let garlic cool, then squeeze out softened cloves from the bulb, discarding skins. Blend garlic into broth using a blender. Set aside.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium with a few Tbsp of olive oil. Sauté the onion and carrots until translucent. Add jalapeños; cook for 2 min or until soft. Stir in ginger and cook just until fragrant.
- Stir in the garlicky chicken broth and parsley. Add cooked farro, shredded chicken, and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve warm.
This recipe originally appeared in the December 2014 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.