Top this meaty vegetarian ensemble with sliced avocado and salsa.
- 2 (6-oz) packages sliced portobello mushrooms (about 15 slices)
- 2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 small jalapeño (or to taste), seeded and sliced into rings
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 3/4 tsp. coarse salt
- 3 c. shredded Tuscan kale (ribs removed)
- juice of 1 lime (2 Tbsp)
- 8 (6-inch) corn or whole wheat tortillas, warmed
- 1 c. crumbled goat cheese
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Cook half of mushrooms in 1 Tbsp oil, turning, until seared, about 3 min. Add half of shallot, jalapeño, and chili powder, plus ¼ tsp salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, until shallot is wilted, 2 to 3 min. Transfer to a plate; keep warm.
- Repeat step above, cooking rest of mushrooms in 1 Tbsp oil, followed by same ingredients.
- Toss kale with lime juice, remaining 2 tsp oil, and remaining ¼ tsp salt, plus pepper to taste.
- Serve mushrooms and kale in tortillas, sprinkled with cheese, plus toppings of your choice.
325 cal, 17 g fat (5 g saturated), 11 g protein, 35 g carb, 6 g
sugar, 6 g fiber, 562 mg sodium, 13 mg cholesterol per serving (without
This story originally appeared in the May 2016 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.