This crispy crust is made from cauliflower, and it really is that good.
- 2 lb. (1 head) cauliflower
- 1 large whole egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/3 c. Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- 1/2 c. store-bought tomato sauce
- 6 oz. fresh whole-milk mozzarella cheese, sliced or torn into pieces
- Basil, for garnish
- red pepper flakes, for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 425°F. Cut cauliflower florets from stems. In batches, pulse in a food processor until finely ground and fluffy. (Do not overprocess.)
- Transfer cauliflower to a microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap, poking a few holes in wrap. Heat in microwave on high, 5 min. Uncover, stir, and let cool slightly.
- Gather cauliflower in a clean dish towel, and twist tightly to squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Stir cauliflower well with egg, egg white, Parmesan, oregano, and salt in a bowl.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and pat out into a ¼-inch-thick circle (10 to 11 inches across).
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 min. Top with sauce and mozzarella. Continue to bake until cheese is melted, 10 to 15 min more. Top with basil and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
204 cal, 13 g fat (7 g saturated), 14 g protein, 8 g carb, 3 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 524 mg sodium, 87mg cholesterol per serving
This story originally appeared in the April 2016 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.