Tenders are extra-thin pieces cut from the chicken breast itself or from the tenderloins — slivers of meat attached to the breast.
- 1 c. low-fat buttermilk
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ c. Grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ c. finely chopped chives
- ¼ c. tsp minced or grated garlic
- ¾ tsp. coarse salt
- 1 ½ lb. chicken tenders
- ½ c. whole wheat flour
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 c. whole wheat panko
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat oven to 500°F. Puree dipping sauce ingredients in a blender until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
- Dredge tenders in whole wheat flour, shaking off excess. Dip in beaten eggs and then directly into panko, pressing lightly to coat completely. Place on a parchment-lined platter.
- Heat a rimmed baking sheet in oven until hot, about 5 min. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Spray both sides generously with cooking spray.
- Transfer to hot baking sheet and bake until golden and cooked through, turning once, about 11 min. Serve with dipping sauce and lemon wedges.
460 cal, 15 g fat (4 g saturated), 45 g protein, 36 g carb, 5 g
sugar, 8 g fiber, 890 mg sodium, 130 mg cholesterol per serving
This story originally appeared in the March 2016 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.