Let the bird marinate for just a few hours or up to a full day.
- 1 c. packed cilantro leaves
- 1 c. packed mint leaves
- ½ c. olive oil
- ⅓ c. lime juice
- ¼ c. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- 1 whole chicken (4 lb)
- ¼ tsp. coarse salt
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Pulse marinade ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Place chicken in a gallon-size resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over bird, in cavity, and work under skin. Marinate in refrigerator, 4 to 24 hrs.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Transfer chicken to a roasting pan, breast up. Tuck wing tips under back. Season with the salt. Discard marinade.
- Roast chicken until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thigh reads 165°F and juices run clear, 1 hr to 1 hr 15 min.
- Let chicken rest, tented with foil, 10 min. Carve and serve with more limes to squeeze over chicken.
485 cal, 31 g fat (8 g saturated), 48 g protein, 2 g carb, 0 g sugar, 1 g fiber, 520 mg sodium, 152 mg cholesterol per serving
This story originally appeared in the March 2016 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.