Farina is usually made with refined wheat, but we use a brown rice version. (Leftover polenta also works.)
- ½ tsp. olive oil
- ¼ c. brown rice farina (such as Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Farina Hot Cereal)
- 1 large egg
- pinch of coarse salt
- Splash of 2% milk (optional)
- 2 tbsp. store-bought salsa
- ¼ c. grated cheddar cheese
- 1 slice avocado
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves and hot sauce, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a small nonstick pan over medium heat and crack egg into pan. Cook, reducing heat to medium-low if necessary, 5 to 7 min (or to desired doneness).
- While egg cooks, combine ¾ cup water and the farina in a large microwave-safe bowl with salt. Heat in microwave, uncovered, 3 min. Stir farina, and let stand to thicken, about 2 min. Thin with milk as needed, and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Top the farina with the fried egg. Spoon salsa on top and add the cheese, avocado, and scallion. Season with pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro and hot sauce, if you like.
406 cal, 21 g fat (8 g saturated), 17 g protein, 39 g carb, 2 g sugar, 5 g fiber, 601 mg sodium, 211 mg cholesterol per serving
This story originally appeared in the March 2016 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.
The hottest ticket in daytime TV can be yours. Make your free appointment to see The Dr. Oz Show in NYC: www.doctoroz.com/tickets