It takes just a few minutes to prepare your own delicious, healthful stir-fry. Our version combines juicy chicken with plenty of veggies.
- 1 1/2 c. uncooked, instant brown rice
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/3 c. fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. dry sherry or fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce, lowest sodium available
- 1 tbsp. plain rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. chili oil
- 1 tbsp. peeled, grated gingerroot
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all visible fat discarded, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 c. diced red bell pepper
- 8 oz. canned water chestnuts, drained
- 3/4 c. sliced green onions
- 1/2 c. pecan halves, dry-roasted
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Prepare the rice using the package directions, omitting the salt and margarine. Set aside. Cover to keep warm.
- Put the cornstarch in a medium bowl. Add the broth, sherry, soy sauce, and vinegar, whisking to dissolve. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the chili oil over high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the gingerroot and garlic for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium high. Stir in the chicken. Cook for 4 minutes, or until the chicken is lightly browned, stirring constantly. (The chicken won't be done at this point.) Transfer to a plate. Wipe the skillet with paper towels.
- In the same skillet, still over medium-high heat, heat the sesame oil, swirling to coat the bottom.
- Cook the mushrooms, bell pepper, and water chestnuts for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Whisk the broth mixture. Stir it into the mushroom mixture. Stir in the chicken. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- Stir the green onions, pecans, and red pepper flakes into the chicken mixture. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve over the rice.
317 calories and 248 mg sodium per serving. Each serving is 1 cup chicken mixture and 1/2 cup rice.