To keep the prep quick and easy, buy precut butternut squash.
- 2 lb. peeled, seeded winter squash (such as butternut)
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. hot pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh sage leaves
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Cut 2 lbs peeled, seeded winter squash (such as butternut) into ½- to 1-inch pieces (6 cups).
- Toss with 3 Tbsp olive oil, ¼ tsp hot pepper flakes, 3 Tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves, and ½ tsp coarse salt until coated well.
- Arrange squash in one layer in a shallow roasting pan. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Scatter with 2 chopped garlic cloves. Continue to roast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
171 cal, 10 g fat (1 g sat fat), 2 g protein, 21 g carb, 4 g sugar, 6 g fiber, 248 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol per serving
This recipe originally appeared in the January/February 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.