This also works with escarole, kale, or swiss chard.
- 7 oz. precooked hot Italian-style chicken sausage
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- ¾ tsp. coarse salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 12 c. coarsely chopped mustard greens
- 2 c. canned cannellini beans
- ½ c. low-sodium chicken broth
- Cut about 7 oz precooked hot Italian-style chicken sausage (2 to 3 links) into rounds.
- Brown in 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, turning, about 6 min.
- Add 1 Tbsp more oil with 1 cup chopped onion, 2 garlic cloves (minced), ¾ tsp coarse salt, and ½ tsp pepper; cook until softened, 3 min.
- Add about 12 cups coarsely chopped mustard greens (from 1 lb, ribs removed) in batches and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 3 min.
- Add 2 cups rinsed and drained canned cannellini beans and ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth.
- Simmer until broth is reduced by half, 3 min.
310 cal, 12 g fat (2 g saturated), 21 g protein, 31 g carb, 4 g sugar, 14 g fiber, 834 mg sodium, 39 mg cholesterol per serving
This story originally appeared in the January/February 2016 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.