Fresh, high-summer tomatoes? Nothing compares.
- 4 tomatoes (about 3 ½ inches across)
- 6 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 4 finely chopped garlic cloves
- ¼ c. chopped fresh basil
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Halve 4 tomatoes (about 3 ½ inches across) horizontally.
- Stir together 6 Tbsp red wine vinegar, 4 finely chopped garlic cloves, ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, ½ tsp coarse salt, and ½ tsp pepper in a roasting pan.
- Place tomatoes cut sides down, and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Heat broiler.
- Flip tomatoes and drizzle with 2 Tbsp marinade, arranging garlic and basil on top of each. Drizzle with 1 ½ Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil.
- Broil tomatoes 4 to 6 inches from heat until golden on top and tomatoes are softened but not falling apart, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, spoon more marinade on top.
85 cal, 6 g fat (1 g saturated), 2 g protein, 7 g carb, 4 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 250 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol per serving
This recipe originally appeared in the January/February 2015 issue of Dr. Oz The Good Life.