In addition to being #RelationshipGoals, songstress Fergie and her actor husband Josh Duhamel also manage to take care of a toddler, maintain their busy schedules, and stay in amazing shape. That would be pretty exhausting for most families, but don't worry: The Duhamel household found a way to stay energized years ago:
"We drink green goo," Duhamel told Health.
Oh. Well... OK.
Jokes aside, it's not the Nickelodeon gak you're currently picturing. It's actually the Glowing Green Smoothie from nutritionist Kimberly Snyder, but, as Duhamel said, "we call it "green goo" at our house."
While it may look like green goo to the family of three, it certainly doesn't taste like it. The 44-year-old actor blends together this veggie-filled concoction every morning, and it's quickly become a family favorite.
"Kimberly [Snyder] introduced me to it on the set of the third 'Transformers' movie," Duhamel said. "It's spinach, kale, celery, apple, banana, pear — we've literally made it every day for the past seven years and it's just like energy in a glass."
"It's changed my life," the 42-year-old singer said. "It's like a buzz. It gives me a little sugar boost, but it's all healthy sugar. I did it during my pregnancy. Axl Jack loves it."
Yes, you read that right: Even the couple's 3-year-old son Axl Jack likes to drink his veggies each morning.
"It used to take a little coaxing, but it's become a great way to make sure he gets enough greens," Duhamel said. Talk about smart parenting!
Want to try the drink for yourself? Here's the recipe:
Glowing Green Smoothie Recipe
- 7 cups chopped spinach (about a medium bunch)
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce (about 1 small head)
- 2 cups cold filtered water
- 1½ cups chopped celery (about 2 medium stalks)
- 1 medium apple, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium pear, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium banana, peeled and cut in thirds
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup minced fresh cilantro (optional)
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley (optional)
1. Combine spinach, romaine lettuce, and water in a blender and process on low. Gradually move to higher speeds and blend until smooth.
2. Add the celery, apple, pear, and the cilantro and parsley, if using. Add the banana, lemon juice, and ice, and blend until smooth.
3. Serve right away or refrigerate, covered, for up to three days. You can also freeze portions in glass containers and let it thaw the night before your morning cup.